Special Educational Needs and Disability


Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator: Mrs Kate Richards

Contact School Tel: 01282 616669             Email: krichards@blacko.penninetrust.org 

Please do not hesitate to contact me on the details above or in school if you would like to discuss your child's progress, IEP, intervention or anything else related to Special Educational Needs and/or Disability.


Special Educational Needs and Disability Governor: Mrs Hilary Wilson



What are Special Educational Needs or Disabilities?

The term 'Special Educational Needs' (SEN) has a legal definition, referring to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn or access education than most children of the same age. At Blacko Primary School we appreciate that some children may have different or additional needs to others and may need extra support to access the curriculum. All Teacher in school differentiate their work to ensure that it meets all children’s needs.

Children who have Special Educational Needs, may need extra help in a range of areas, including

  • reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • social skills including making friends or relating to adults
  • behaving properly in school
  • organising themselves
  • sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school


How will you know if your child has Special Educational Needs?

You will be informed by your child's class teacher if we feel your child needs to receive some extra, or different support. You will then be invited to meet with Mrs Richards and your child's class teacher to discuss a way forward for your child. The level of extra help is known as SEN Support. This could include:

  • different teaching strategies
  • extra support from an adult
  • using particular equipment

If we feel that your child has a SEN that requires external support we will always seek your consent before we make a referral to gain specialist advice or support to help us meet your child's needs. This could include a Specialist Teacher, Educational Psychologist or a Speech and Language Therapist. You will always be informed by your child's Class Teacher and/or Mrs Richards of the outcomes and recommendations of any referrals made.


How do we meet the needs of SEND children?

If we feel that your child has SEND we will devise an Individual Provision Map which will outline what we feel they need in place to help them progress through the education system. This may be provision within school and/or through external agencies. The Provision Map will give specific targets and outline how children are being supported. It will also include information on specific areas you can work on at home with your child. Your class teacher will invite you in every half term to discuss and sign your child's Individual Provision Map.

If your child's needs continue to hinder their learning and development and we feel we need additional support in school order to deliver the required provision it may be necessary to apply for an Educational Health Care Plan (previously known as statements).


It is important to note that SEN children may require support on a short term basis or for many years. The needs of each individual child will be different.

At Blacko Primary School we firmly believe that all children make progress in different ways and at different speeds. Teachers take this into account and work hard to consider children's strengths, different learning styles and abilities. This means that children may have different levels of support. If your child is making slower progress it does not automatically mean that they have SEN.



SEND Policies and Documentation


  Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy


     Accessibility Plan 2022


For further information please see our SEND Information Report which is in either an accessible Sway format or PDF below.



SEND Information Report:


  Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report



Our SEND Support Flow Chart

Our SEND Flow Chart details how we support pupils through our Graduated Response.


Available Services


     SEND Local Offer


      Lancashire's Local Offer


Parent Partnerships


  Parent Partnership Service


The FIND Directory as part of the Parent Partnership Service at Lancashire County Council is a statutory service that offers information, help and support for parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities [SEND].

The service has a role in making sure that parents and carers views are heard and understood and that these views inform local policy and practice.


Parent Partnership Services can help you by:

  • Giving accurate and neutral information about Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND) assessment policies and procedures.
  • Arranging a face-to-face meeting to explain the SEND documentation.
  • Assisting you to complete the Parental Advice Forms.
  • Explaining the content of Statements of SEND.
  • Accompanying you on visits to schools so that you can make informed decisions about your preference.
  • Liaising between you, school and Lancashire County Council's Special Educational Needs Support Service  [SENDSS] regarding a child's special educational needs.





Further Support


Who can I contact for further information or if I have any issues or concerns?

The first point of contact for anything related to your child’s education is the class teacher. We encourage parents not to wait for the next formal opportunity to meet but to contact us on an ongoing basis. Or, the SENDCo/senior leaders can be contacted directly to discuss your concerns.



SEND Jargon Buster



Supporting Children with ASD during COVID-19

Sensory Circuits for the home

NHS-Motor Skills Circuit

Autism and Family Life

Autism-Self isolation guidance and resources.


Speech and Language 

 Speech and Language games for kids

 Free Makaton resources for use at home


Sensory Impairments 

 National Deaf Children Society

 What support is available for children with sight impairment during COVID- 19?

 Audible - Free audio books for children 


Positive Mental Health

 Anxiety Resource Pack

 Supporting Young People's Mental Healthy Through Periods of Disruption

Triple P Parenting