Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural
At Blacko School we put SMSC (Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural) 'at the heart' of school development. Therefore, as a school we want everyone to consider the kind of people we aspire to be, the kind of world we aspire to create and the kind of education we aspire to provide.
Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural Development is promoted not only through all the subjects of the curriculum, but also through the ethos of the school and through the development of positive attitudes and values and planned time for reflection. SMSC supports, expresses and reinforces our school values, valuing all children and staff equally, and as individuals.
Spiritual Opportunities include:
- Collective worship happens everyday in school.
- Other Faiths are taught throughout the R.E curriculum.
- Visits from representatives from other faiths.
- Visits to faith centres
Moral Opportunities include:
- Voting for school parliament representatives
- Our School Values
- Rights Respecting School - regular discussions during assembly and class meetings
Social Opportunities include:
- Consistent implementation of behaviour routines
- Buddy system in Reception and Year 5 and Year 1 and Year 6.
- Whole School Teams - children belong work together with their school team in different contexts.
- Lunch time clubs and activities
Cultural Opportunities include:
- Other faiths' awareness/celebration days
- Sports opportunities and music clubs
- Class meetings and assemblies provide opportunities to recognise and value the things we share in common
- Opportunities to participate in and respond to artistic, musical and sporting opportunities - these include performing at the local theatre, visits from artists
- Mandarin lessons in KS2 providing opportunities to learn about another culture.
- Trips to London and Paris.